Negotiation skills – Going for win/win
Learn the core skills to negotiate effectively
Know the principles of negotiation
Negotiation skills are something that we use or apply every day. Yet, only the skilled negotiators are the ones that walk away with the prize. As young children we learn how to negotiate with our parents about all the things that we want. However, as we grow we seem to lose this needed skill and become less successful in getting exactly what we want out of life. Somehow our perspective changes and we develop bad habits. Unfortunately, most of us are not trained systematically on negotiations even though this skill can be quite beneficial to us in every aspect of our lives. Change works can provide you and your team with the ultimate negotiation course. Why not take your team to another level
Who is this for?
This program is for any professionals who are expected to negotiate as part of their job. This course is very generic and provides the fundamental skills and knowledge for standard negotiations. If you team requires a tailor made workshop, please contact us.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the underlying principles of negotiation and learn what you can do to get the best outcome
- Use a negotiation strategy that moves you closer to a win/win outcome
- Prepare for negotiation by following a step-by-step approach and set your critical limits
- Use a set of psychological tactics to explore the other side’s motives and learn how to respond to tactics used by them
- Derive specific values based on your negotiation variables and use them to bargain systematically over your settlement range
- Finalise the outcome of your negotiation to get exactly what you have asked for
1) Introduction to Negotiation
- Why do you need to negotiate?
- What types of negotiations exist?
- What are the characteristics of a confident negotiator?
- How to handle conflicts in negotiations?
- What steps do you need to go through when negotiating?
- What is the difference between negotiation and persuasion?
2) Negotiation Strategy
- What outcome should you aim for?
- How to perform Outcome Analysis?
- What is the best negotiation strategy?
- Should you bargain over positions explicitly?
- What is principled negotiation?
- What strategies can you use to take the upper hand in negotiations?
- What can you do to move the negotiation forward when you think it is getting stuck?
3) How to Negotiate
- What is the 8-Step negotiation preparation guide?
- How to discuss negotiation variables?
- How to set your selling or buying limits systematically?
- How to manage your Settlement Range?
- How to manage concessions when you give them or receive them?
- How to break deadlocks?
- How to settle a negotiation to get what you asked for?
- How to close a negotiation?
4) How to Negotiate
- How to handle negotiations emotionally?
- How to bargain effectively?
- How to take advantage of human emotional reaction and use that to your benefit?
- How to take advantage of body language?
- How to express your disagreement while maintaining the relationship?
5) Handling Psychological Tactics in Negotiations
- What are psychological tactics used in negotiations and how to respond to them?
- How to handle an angry negotiator?
- How to respond to shock tactics?
- How to big up your side of the negotiation and bring down theirs?
- How to handle their lack of authority to proceed?
Paul (MD of Change Works) is so passionate on his work. He has been terrific throughout the course hes designed specifically for our young leaders.
Pressure facing young leaders in our current high tech, fast changing world is immense. Some of the participants attended the course left us after realizing that their life goal do not align with the company culture. Others who are still with the company has been tremendous, a revolution and is the bedrock of the company culture, cultivating younger leaders for the future.
I have enjoyed Paul’s method; full of fun, laughters and sometimes tears. I will not hesitate to recommend Paul to anyone and he is worth every penny!
Willem Q – Director at Langdon
How do you make a team motivate & push themselves further?
Ask Paul and the Change Works team!
My team & myself had several fantastic workshops with Paul, and many of us had the extra privilege of further one on one sessions with him. From the very next day after one of his workshops, you could feel the difference in the office.
A perfect way to make an already fantastic team push themselves further and raise our awareness of things that had slipped passed, unnoticed.
A year later, and we are still using his terminology & tools so that we can help ourselves. Thank you Paul, for giving us something priceless.